Monday, August 2, 2010

Lake Fork Recap

7.2lbs caught on Lake Fork, TX
Well I'm disappointed to report that we did not land our 9+ pound bass that we had hoped to land on our trip to Lake Fork.  Our biggest of the trip was this 7.2 pound large mouth that Sam caught.   We fished for three straight days and when I say "fished for three straight days" I literally mean we fished for 12 hours a day for three days straight.  As it turned out we were about 2 weeks early.  Texas had been unseasonably cold and the spawn was pushed back.  Water temps were only in the mid 50's to low 60's which is pretty cold for down there.  Our best day was our last day of fishing.  After having thrown pretty much everything in our tackle bags we ended up dead sticking 5" Yum Dingers in black/blue on spinning gear.  Not exactly how one would envision fishing down in big bass country.  My biggest of the trip was a 5 pound 1 ounce pictured below.  And I've got to say, had we not weighted them on my berkley digital scale I would think my fish was only a pound in comparison to Sammy's.  Wow his is a really great fish.

5.1lbs caught on Lake Fork, TX
While the trip might not have gone as we anticipated we had a blast all the same.  It's a trip that I certainly would recommend to others.  The excitement of each bite, not knowing if this will be the one, the elusive 10+ pounder, is irresistible.  I look forward to returning to Lake Fork soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment