Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Golden Fishing Nugget by Wired2Fish

I've been spending a lot of time thinking, reading, dreaming, preparing, worrying about the BC Pro Staff Lake Fork trip coming up. I've been all over the place in terms of my mental state. Most of the time I'm excited but as the date draws closer I'm not beginning to worry that we will have missed the bite because of how far ahead the season already seems to be due to the weather. I mean for pete sake, even up here in Minnesota we are talking about moving the bass opener up by a whole week. While that might not seem like much, a change like that with our DNR is nothing short of a miracle.

Anyway as I was out surfing the web as I've been doing literally every single night, I came across a very interesting article on Wired2Fish. I like those guys and their site. Very informative and visually appealing. Sorry, got off track there. So yeah I came across an article on fishing ahead of the curve. This specific paragraph I thought was a good reminder about the way bass move;

"Obviously, if you don’t fish a lot with consistency it’s hard to know where the fish were or are at any given point in the year. But the spring is a rapidly progressive transition for the bass. They are out on the main lake, then move to secondary structure in bays in creeks, then up shallow in the pockets and flats, then they begin working back out, stopping along familiar secondary areas and shallow cover laden areas until the finally reach their summer destinations back out deeper yet. Sometimes, this all happens in a month. Sometimes, it seems like it takes several months depending on factors like water clarity, water levels and water temperature."

That will be something that I will keep front of mind as we get down to Fork. My natural inclination will be to fish shallow. It will be important for us to be disciplined and remember to hit all of those locations mentioned above.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment