Monday, December 6, 2010

Tacklewarehouse.com Order


My order arrived from the Tackle Warehouse this past weekend.  As the Bass Pastor would say, the bait monkey paid a visit.  Actually I only picked up a few things and most of it was terminal tackle in the form of hooks. 

I did pick up a few other odds and ends that were on sale for their black friday event.  I'll start with the item I think I'm most disappointed in, the 6"Berkley Hollow Belly Swim Baits in Ayu.  Now I make this claim of disappointment without ever having fished them before.  They were on sale for $2.88 plus 20% off of that.  I think I decided to purchase them because I've had luck fishing a Yum Money Minnow in a variety of conditions.  In general I really like Berkley products so at the time it seemed like a no brainer.  However in my excitement or malaise, I failed to realize they were of the 6" variety.  I know the old adage; "bigger the bait, bigger the fish" but in this particular bait I'm most comfortable with a 3.75" or 4.5" size.  With as much pressure as the lakes get, I'm not confident that a 6" swimbait is going to be a go to bait for me.

Two items that I'm excited about are the new 3/8oz chatterbaits.  I had some early season luck with the chatterbait down on Lake Fork in Texas so when I saw these on sale for a couple bucks I knew I had to round out my colors.  As a result I pick up two; one in Fire Tiger and the other in Green Pumpkin Black.  I think the orange flash on the Fire Tiger could be deadly.

Firetiger Chatterbait
Green Pumpkin Black Chatterbait











And now for the Pièce de résistance.  I introduce you to the Damiki Hydra.  I picked up a package in two of my favorite colors; Watermelon red fleck and Junebug.  I am certain my brother-in-law would be shaking his head right now if he knew that I'm even bringing up this bait so openly.  But I figure I haven't actually caught anything on it yet so I may or may not be giving away some big secret on the next greatest soft plastic of all time.  Actually, I'm not even close to the first person to talk about this bait.  You can check out youtube and see video of Bryan Thrift doing a product demo on the Hydra (the link is down a couple posts from this one).  Pretty cool stuff if I do say so myself.  I plan on using this as my secret bait when we hit up Vermilion during the Second Annual Anderbrodton Fishing Invitational.  And since I'm the only person that reads this blog, I'm fairly certain my secret is safe.

Hydra in Watermelon Red Fleck
Hydra in Junebug














On a side note, I think this is what I'm most excited about keeping a blog for, making wild predictions on what I think might work, not work, ect.  And then when I actually do get to try stuff out I can report back and see if some of my perceptions were right, wrong or indifferent.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! You are right, I am more open to sharing about stuff I haven't tried though. That stuff looks nasty good! I will post a pic of the Bass Tackle Depot order before long.

    ReplyDelete