Friday, December 31, 2010

Ramping up the Revo's

The two Revos SX-L baitcasters I won on eBay arrived just before Christmas to prime the pump on a terrific holiday for me and the family.

I discovered, somewhat by accident I must admit, that I prefer left handed bait casting reels. Last season I purchased two reels from Tacklewarehouse without realizing they were left handed. As it turns out it was a blessing in disguise. I've always had handle on my spinning reels set up so that my left hand does the reeling which allows me to set the hook with my dominate hand, the right. Another benefit is the left handed reel allows me to pitch and not have to switch hands. I'm immediately ready to set the hook if my jig or Texas rigged 10" power worm is hit on the way down.

With these two that brings the total to 5 Revo SX-L's in the arsenal. Hmm...admitting this makes me wonder, I'm not so sure that is it something to be proud of but rather something to be slightly embarrassed about.

I'm the type of angler that likes to have all my equipment be the same and when I find something that works for me I tend to stock up on that item. That is the case with the Revo's. They are incredibly smooth, have sufficient power to throw cranks, jigs, worms, frogs, jerk baits, ect. At $165 a pop brand new they aren't cheap (although cheaper than the top of the line Revo). I've managed to find great deals on my Revo's and the average cost of the 5 I own is $100 a reel. Not too shabby for a reel that fishes like it's big brother, the STX.

So really we are left with two conclusions. One, there is no such thing as too many reels. Two, the Revo SX is a nice reel and a great deal.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment