Monday, January 3, 2011

Fish PAA TV

I watched an episode of Fish PAA TV today covering the BPS PAA tournament on Lake Cherokee. It houses anglers from both the Elites and FLW Tour. I have had a blog post in draft status for some time where I started to lay out the various pro circuits; PAA, FLW Tour and BASS Elites. But today I when I discovered that the PAA was going to be on TV, I knew I'd have to watch and comment before I finished my original post.

So what is the PAA? Well in short it has similar rules to the elites; 3 day tournament with all anglers fishing on days 1 & 2 but then the top 30 advance to the 3rd day. Standard 5 bass limit. One interesting difference is they practice for 3 days followed by a day off. Then after the day off the tournament starts. I believe this is different from both of the other two major circuits. The anglers had many positive things to say about the format.

The money for this tournament was okay with over 300k in cash and prizes available. The top angler got 10k and a Phoenix 719 bass boat with a 225 Merc. Definitely more than a club tournament but in comparison to the elites the winner gets 50k-100k and on the FLW Tour it's 125k for some events.

As I mentioned, the tournament had both FLW and BASS anglers. Just a few names in the tournament; Casey Ashley, Timmy Horton, Shaw Grigsby, Charley Hartley, Sean Hoernke, Brent Chapman, Todd Faircloth, Lance Vick and one of my favorites, Jeff Kreit.

The quality of the guys fishing makes the tournament impressive. The production quality of the actual show wasn't as impressive however. I was surprised because the "Bass Pros" show is one that I think is fairly well done. I had higher expectations for the tournament coverage.

The program is 30 minutes on the sportsman's channel. Today's episode covered just day one of the tournament. Day two is set to air next week on Monday. I do like the quick 30 minute format for the program. It allows me to watch a bit of tournament fishing in a quick 22 minute block if I fast forward through the commercials. The voice over guy was too formal. A positive was the "off the water" segments they had were actually quite good.

Overall it was worth the 22 minute investment. It's a program that I will continue to tune into primarily because of the mix of FLW and BASS guys. So set your DVR's to record the next episode. I think you'll enjoy it.

Oh and on a side note, I always find it moderately humorous when you see a pro using another pro's signature equipment. A perfect example was Brent Chapman using the yellow Skeet Reese rods.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment